May 3, 2010

Confessions of a True Food Junkie



I apologize for the length ahead of time, but I just had to get this out. It was Wednesday April 28, 2010, and Baskin-Robins was having their 31 Cent Scoop Night to benefit America's firefighters and the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. Yes, sweet treats & a cause to help!

So after work, I hoped the F train straight to the nearest Baskin-Robins. To my surprise, not that many people picked up on the deal going on, oh well, more sweets for me! I proceeded to choose from the ice creams, and there it was, like a $100 dollar bill on the ground….Oreo Cookies & Cream Ice Cream! “How many scoops miss?” he asked. I quickly replied “3 please”. Then I thought, wait, these are only 31 cents a scoop and you’ve been wanting ice cream for how long? “Change that to 6 scoops please!”

I hurried on to the 2 train like I found the winning lotto ticket and just kept smiling. I cracked open my treasure and began to devour the ice cream. Suddenly the lady next to me asked “Are you going to eat ALL that?” I was puzzled, one because its New York City & people rarely try to hold a conversation, but more so because it was my ice cream that I bought to eat, so what’s it to her? I simply replied “Yea, I’m going to eat ALL OF IT”. She giggled with her neighbor. Then I realized that there were glares coming from people in every direction. All I could wonder is, what’s the big problem? Yea, so what, Im a small framed gal, but does that mean I shouldn’t indulge in the Oreo Cookies & Cream Ice Cream? Or cause I’m skinny, I should instead have salads & lattes?

I began to wonder about the larger issue……do we as a society deem certain things okay because of someone’s physical make? For instance, if it was a larger set woman eating the ice cream, do you think people would of asked her the question? Or if instead that same larger set woman was eating a salad, would you automatically assume she was trying to loose weight? Or what about the skinny girl who parades around in clothes to big, and those who snicker and say “she’s got a great body, I don’t know why she hides it under all that fabric!”

I guess the point I am trying to get at is that nosy people should mind their business. But more importantly, has society become so vain that we are predisposed to have certain conceptions based on the physical make of a human? What happened to enjoying the simple things & indulging in the things that bring you pure bliss. Im not advocating eating ice cream everyday, I’m just saying, people shouldn’t get so caught up in the materialism, consumerism, and what other’s deem as the right things that will make you happy and look good. Instead, treat yourself to the things that will make you smile more and stress less, whether its ice cream or just a book.

That’s just my opinion.

Just had to vent & share the thought.

-Peace & Ble$$ing$ (K.A)

No comments:

Post a Comment