May 10, 2010

A Prayer for our Youth

Just the other day I was in deep thought about the direction of our youth. I spend a significant amount of time on the train in New York and just observe the way they dress, act, and speak. It seems as if they are in a hurry to grow up. I remember at one point and time, I was too, however, I couldn't help but to feel that there was certain difference...between our youth today and the youth of just 5 years ago. Its as if they care less and less about their academics & well being, and more about what is the latest gossip & who is wearing the hottest label. Like, what happened to being able to do your homework, going to the ball game to kick it with friends, and making it home for curfew & having a few words with our mothers after their long days at work. Its like they zoom right past it all, until its too late.

This morning, I ran across this article @ Global Grind entitled " He Has a Name..." and the details of this tragedy just broke my heart. What made it all the more heart-wrenching were the circumstances behind it...they were at a birthday party for a one year old....they were standing up to a gunman....and it was Mother's Day.

It was just last week I had the opportunity of hearing Harry Belafonte speak at Voices 6. I was in complete awe. I mean, there I was listening to Harry Belafonte speak on the need for strong communities to help shape our world, and most importantly, our youth. He was a Harlem man who had overcame extreme adversity, and still found it a priority, at 83 years old, to still go back and speak to the Communities. He continued to say that it is too often that we forget to reach back and help those who have helped us.

There's the irony, a few days after this phenomenal event, a tragedy as this hit "OUR" community. It is far too often, and still nobody does anything to change it. It seems his words fell short of the ears that needed to hear it most. I wonder & pray for the direction our youth is headed in.

Peace & Ble$$ing$ (KA)

No comments:

Post a Comment